Key West is known for tropical weather and picturesque beaches, but there is more to discover during a visit to this island off Florida’s coast. What Key West lacks in size – it’s only eight square miles – it makes up for in fascinating history. Learn about this history by visiting Key West museums, several just a short distance away from Cabana Inn.
A Checklist of Key West Museums to Visit
Whether you’re visiting with a history buff or are one yourself, there is a wide variety of museums to choose from during your stay at our Key West inn.
- One of the most well-known museums is the Hemingway Home & Museum. Learn about famous author Ernest Hemingway’s life on the island and how this influenced his work. Be sure to keep an eye out for the Hemingway cats.
- Explore the maritime history of Florida and the Caribbean by visiting the Mel Fisher Maritime Museum. Dive deeper and see how items are preserved by going on a tour of the conservation lab.
- Since its opening, the Key West Museum of Art & History has been wowing guests with its impressive two floors of exhibits that showcase two centuries of work. Thie site has both a permanent collection as well as galleries of award-winning exhibitions.
- See a fort from the Civil War when you stop by Fort East Martello. This fort and tower were constructed to provide the island extra protection from a Confederate sea assault. Wander through preserved relics and learn about the cigar manufacturing and wrecking industries that influenced the Keys.
- A trip to Key West isn’t complete without visiting the only presidential museum in Florida. The Truman Little White House offers guests a look into President Harry S. Truman’s life in his former home.
No matter your interests, there are plenty of museums to select from, so you can find one that suits you best.
Take in All There Is to Discover in Key West
From unique neighborhoods to exciting museums, there is no shortage of places to explore during your Key West getaway. Tucked away in Old Town, Cabana Inn is not only the perfect home base for your adventures, but it also offers a quiet escape at the end of the day. Our historic hotel, which is close to Duval Street, is made up of luxurious and cozy rooms that range from sleeping one to five people. Take advantage of our on-site amenities, including continental breakfast, to make the most out of your stay. To learn more about our resort and its accommodations, or current special offers, call 866-413-2230.